Skip to content
You are here:  Home Courts
A Guide to Traffic Citations: PDF Print E-mail

The Traffic Department maintains all records pertaining to Traffic Citations issued to persons in Hamilton County. We also collect all fines, provide a list of approved driving schools, and set court dates for those who wish to contest their infraction violation.

If you are charged with a criminal violation (D.U.I., driving with a suspended license, driving without a valid drivers license etc.), you must call the County Criminal Department (Misdemeanor) within 10 days of the citation by calling 386-792-6631.

If you are charged with a civil infraction (careless driving, speeding etc.) you must elect one of the following three options within 30 days of the citation.

  1. Pay the fine 
  2. Plead not guilty
  3. Elect to attend a driving school and pay a fine to avoid having points assessed - DHSMV's List of statewide traffic schools.

Penalties for Failure to Complete Course and/or Pay Costs and Fees

Your Driver's License will be suspended and points will be assessed for failure to pay fines and costs. If you chose to attend driving school but failed to complete the course and/or provide proof to the Clerk’s office, points will be assessed and your license may be suspended by the State of Florida.  Before your license can be reinstated, YOU MUST: Pay the fine, a late fee, if applicable, and pay a reinstatement fee to the State of Florida.

Frequently Asked Questions about Traffic Citations:

How much will my Traffic Citation cost and where do I pay? 

  • It depends on what violation you were charged with and whether you pay it within the allotted 30 days after the date of the citation. If you pay after 30 days late fees will be assessed.  If you receive a citation for no proof of registration, insurance, etc., or a vehicle defect citation, please contact the Clerk’s Office for instructions and the costs associated with this type of charge.
  • You can pay your citation in person at the Hamilton County Clerk’s Office, 207 N.E. First Street, Room 106, Jasper, Florida.
  • You can pay by mail by sending a cashier’s check or money order to 207 N.E. First Street, Room 106, Jasper, Florida 32052, Attn: Traffic Department. 
  • You can pay on-line at (click here) within 30 days of receiving your ticket using a credit card.
  • We do not accept any payments over the telephone.

How do I make arrangements to go to driving school to avoid points being assessed. 

  • First, contact the Clerk’s Office at 386-792-1288. You will have to sign an affidavit electing to attend a driving school, and pay the Clerk’s Office the associated costs for this option within 30 days of the date of the citation. If you hold a CDL license, you are not eligible for school election. 
  • Next, contact a driving school of your choice that is approved by the State of Florida and complete the course within 90 days from the date of the citation. The schools will advise you of their associated costs for taking the approved driving program.
  • Finally, provide the Clerk’s Office with a copy of the Certificate of Completion that will be issued to you by the school. This option may only be used once in a 12 month period, and no more than 5 times within a 10 year period. Failure to provide the Certificate within 90 days WILL result in points being assessed against your license and MAY cause your license to be suspended. 


Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM Eastern time.

Traffic Department 386-792-0856

Or write: 

Greg Godwin, Clerk of Circuit Court


207 N.E. First Street, Room 106

Jasper, FL 32052

How do I set a court date? 

  • If you are charged with an infraction, you may choose to appear in court to contest the violation.  Please call the Traffic Department at 386-792-0856 for instructions and forms.

Can I change my court date? 

  • The Clerk’s office cannot reschedule an infraction court appearance date. 

 May I file an extension to pay my traffic infraction?

  • If you request an extension, you waive your right to attend traffic school or have a hearing. 
  • You may obtain an additional 30 days to pay by coming in person to the Hamilton County Clerk’s Office at 207 N.E. First Street, Room 106, Jasper, Florida.  If you are unable to come in person, please call this office for additional instructions.  There will be an additional $7.00 Affidavit fee due at the time of your request. 

How do I obtain a copy of my driving record and points? 

  • You may purchase a copy at the Clerk’s Office, 207 N.E. First Street, Room 106, Jasper, Florida. There is an associated cost.